Good communication is the key to:
- Reduce patient anxiety
- Establish and grow trust
- Increase patient satisfaction
- Grow strong relationships
Trust and strong relationships help patients:
- Accept your treatment plans
- Pre-pay for treatment
- Share positive reviews
- Refer friends and family
- Remain loyal to your practice
Today, you have unprecedented opportunities to communicate well with patients through tools like YAPI and social media! Yes, you can text, call, and email, but social media is where patients spend a large majority of their time.
What Social Media Platforms Are Adults Using in the US?
- Facebook 69% 69%
- Instagram 40% 40%
- Pinterest 31% 31%
- LinkedIn 28% 28%
- Snapchat 25% 25%
- Tik Tok 21% 21%
Move over, Google!
Another important statistic to consider is that younger generations are now turning to social networks to research brands more than search engines.
- Social networks: 53.2%
Search engines: 51%
Your social media presence is more important than ever. Are your Facebook and Instagram efforts on track or in need of some attention? Now is a great time to review social media how-tos and tips for 2022.
Start With “The End” in Mind.
First of all, get intentional. Start thinking about how you want to be perceived. Do you want to be known as a high-tech dentist? The dentist who is obsessed with personal and professional growth? Or maybe the friendly or the stylish dentist? There is no right or wrong—you have to feel good about it in your gut. Once you know how you want to be perceived, make sure you tailor your content to match your intentions.
Personalize Your Dental Social Media Content!
Being authentic and sharing your human side brings patients comfort. It builds trust and makes strong connections. If you haven’t already, ditch the stock photos. Make sure you and your team share who you are inside and outside the office. Post photos and videos of you living life, enjoying hobbies, and smiling with the people and pets that bring you joy. Social media users are looking for positive, uplifting content. Ask yourself if your post is going to make people smile.
Consider The Clinical Goals of Your Dental Practice.
What type of dentistry do you want to be known for? Would you like to do more smile makeovers? Maybe you want to attract more clear aligner patients or become known for your gum grafts. No matter the goal, social media can help you reach it. The key is to include these topics consistently in your content mix. While your post on dental implants isn’t likely to get a hundred likes, you need to include these clinical topics. Otherwise, your patients may not even know that you offer these treatments.
Put a Good System in Place for Effective Dental Social Media.
You likely have many processes in place to keep your practice running smoothly and efficiently. It should be no different for social media. You can save time and get better results by using an online calendar and scheduling tool to plan your content month to month. If you want to grow more clear aligner cases or attract more dental implant patients, you need to post about those topics consistently. Check out a tool like Hootsuite or a program specifically made for dental teams like Connect90.com.
Implement Fresh Tactics!
Social media is changing every day. There are new options for increasing your visibility, expanding your reach, and connecting with new and existing patients. If you are still using social media the same way you did a few years ago, it’s time to mix things up. Here are a few ideas you can run with:
- Instagram Reels: Short, fun videos up to 60 seconds long. Reels are being heavily promoted on Instagram and in turn help you get significant reach and visibility.
- Hashtags: If you want to be discovered on Instagram, don’t forget location hashtags. Although you can use up to 30 hashtags, the Instagram Creator account currently recommends using 3-5 as a best practice.
- Facebook Groups: Most neighborhoods have a local Facebook group. You or your team can ask to join the group to keep up with what’s going on in your community. People will frequently ask neighbors who they recommend as a good dentist. You can watch for opportunities and chime in to welcome new patients.
- Most importantly, make it easy for patients to choose you. Include calls to action and links for patients to easily schedule online with you. If you are doing a great job continuing to grow your online reviews, remember to share your favorites on social media as well.
Written by Rita Zamora
Rita Zamora is author of the book “Get Found, Get Liked, Get Patients – Making the Most of Social Media.” She is the founder of Connect90, a social media program helping dentists with content ideas and tools to save time and get better results. She graduated magna cum laude from the University of Colorado with a bachelor’s degree in business and marketing and has over 20 years experience in the business of dentistry. Learn more here: Connect90.com.
Check out our recent interview from Behind The Smiles with Dr. Gina Dorfman and Rita Zamora!